President of International Society for Human and Animal Mycology (ISHAM)
- He is currently the President of International Society for Human and Animal Mycology (ISHAM), had been the President of Society for Indian Human and Animal Mycologists (SIHAM), President of Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists.
- He has consistently helped in the development of the discipline of Medical Mycology and laboratories in India and member countries of SEARO, WHO. His laboratory is recognized as ‘Center of Advanced Research in Medical Mycology’ in India (initially sponsored by ICMR), ‘WHO Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Fungi of Medical Importance’. He is the curator of ‘National Culture Collection of Pathogenic Fungi’ (initially sponsored by ICMR).
- He is also working as the International Coordinator of ‘Antifungal resistance surveillance network’ under WHO, member in the WHO ‘Antifungal Expert Group on Identifying R&D Priorities’, the chair of Asian Fungal Working Group under ISHAM, and Chair of Fungal Infection Study Forum. He is Section Editor/Associate Editor/Deputy Editor of four international journals –Journal of Medical Microbiology, Mycoses, Current Fungal Infection Report and Medical Mycology Case Report
- He has published 432 papers in the field of Medical Mycology and delivered lectures in >400 medical conferences and societies. He wrote chapters in 20 books. He edited two books ‘Fungal Infections in Asia-The Eastern Frontier of Mycology’ and ‘Clinical Practice of Medical Mycology in Asia’. His major contribution is in the field of epidemiology of fungal sinusitis, sporotrichosis, mucormycosis, and hospital acquired fungal infections.
- He received multiple awards from National Societies, Academies of India, and was awarded the Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences (FAMS), Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc), Fellow of European Confederation of Medical Mycology (FECMM), and Fellow Infectious Disease Society of America (FIDSA). Recently he is selected to receive 2022 ASM Moselio Schaechter Award.